Re: [OM] E-M5 EVF delay, again

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 EVF delay, again
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 08:30:31 -0500
I think your three reaction time measures are valid in a relative sense
but think your measurements are a little faster than they would be "in
the field".  When you're using the stop watch method waiting for 10
seconds to appear you can clearly anticipate the precise moment.  But if
you use the BBC "sheep" method (just resurrected here by Mike)
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/> you don't have the
anticipation advantage.

Nevertheless, your relative measurements are very valuable.  They
clearly show that the EVF frame rate has a very significant role to play
in making the E-M5 more usable for fast action shots.  It also shows
that the EVF itself doesn't add much to the total reaction time...just
28ms... perhaps no worse than the mechanical delay in an SLR to open the
mirror before the shutter can be fired.

Of course, with the E-M5 we may be operating with the shutter shock
delay which adds another 125ms... a large number.  However, I wonder if
the shutter shock is at all significantly detrimental to image quality
when (as in sports photography) we have both rapidly moving camera and
rapidly moving subject.  I think the answer is probably no since image
resolution is going to be very low.  Maybe shutter shock delay should be
turned off for photography of fast moving subjects.

Chuck Norcutt