Re: [OM] [OT] Firewalls and other (mostly Linux related) network securit

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Firewalls and other (mostly Linux related) network security questions
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:38:39 +1030
Chuck,

oops yes, I got tied  up in the OS side of things...

#4: The read-only boot filesystem, 'deep freeze' partition etc.,  are
all methods that are used to ensure a fresh install for every boot. I
have seen these used in environments with general-public users. User
information and anything thay have done to the machine will generally be
wiped at every reboot.  I'd suggest a persistent writeable filesystem
for browser settings can increase the risk of attacks with script/plugin
vulnerabilities. Note that from the time the OS is burned to a CD it is
aging and unpatchable :) so an occasional recompile and new CD would be
in order.

#6a: yes, downstream router/firewall. it's 'WAN' port plugs into the
upstream router's LAN (you'd need the downstream router to have an
ethernet WAN rather than broadband etc - and be able to configure the
WAN port for DHCP, or 'hard' configure it and know how to configure the
upstream device as well).

#8: I have had no experience with these.

davidt