Re: [OM] [OT] Firewalls and other (mostly Linux related) network securit

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Firewalls and other (mostly Linux related) network security questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:31:18 -0800
On 1/17/2014 4:59 PM, Scott Gomez wrote:
> This  has been an interesting thread.

Yes, and a bit confusing. A handful of observations I hope are close to true
and possibly useful.

To assume that any particular home router firewall will catch everything that a
software firewall will - and the reverse
- is to assume information not in evidence, and that will never be in evidence.
The web and technology are in flux,
moving too fast to be analyzed.

I've never had any problems with the ZA free firewall causing any trouble. I
have on rare occasions turned it off when
trying to find a problem, and it has never been the cause. I don't think it
slows anything down. It does work to monitor
programs and stop undesirable outgoing traffic, as well as incoming (all user
settable, if desired). It reports stopping
lots of attempted connections. I have no idea if that means anything.

I use MS's Windoze anti virus. I also occasionally run Malwarebytes, which
found a lot of crap recently when FireFox was
acting weird. Not weird now.

It seems to me the question is why not use a belt and suspenders approach? It
costs nothing and increases the chances of
resisting attacks and malware.

In answer to Chuck's question 7, yes. Being sensible and careful is wise.
Letting paranoia lead one into extreme
measures is a waste of one's life.

Are a couple of cars going to stop across the street ahead and behind you, and
bad, bad things happen to you? Nope. Is
someone possibly going to mug one of us? Maybe, but the chances are very small.
More likely is that one of us will leave
a wallet full of cash, credit cards, ATM card, etc. and whoever finds it will
go to some trouble to get it back to us.

Happened last year here. The kid next door left his wallet at a convenience
store. The owner drove up to the address on
his ID and was wandering around 'cause no one was home there. Carol accepted
the wallet, we left a 'phone message,
Barbara came over and got it for her son when she got home.

The world of the people on this list is not unsafe. Anything beyond reasonable
precautions is not justified. There's too
much to enjoy in life to spend a lot of time and effort trying to prevent
anything bad from ever happening.

If the meteorite has your name on it ...

Pants Up Moose