Re: [OM] What would you buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would you buy?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:42:04 -0800
On 1/11/2014 4:09 PM, John Lind wrote:
> My NEX-7 has 24 MP, and the better lenses (most notably the Carl Zeiss) will
> fill it with 24 MP of image - an APS-C size sensor. The RX10 and RX100-II 1"
> 20 MP sensor is BSI (backside illuminated) which makes a very significant
> signal-to-noise ratio improvement over non-BSI sensors of the same size. The
> other common issue with small(er) sensors is having a lens with sufficient
> resolving power for the sensor pixel pitch. Stating the obvious, having a
> sensor with a googolplex of pixels does no good if the lens is only capable
> of delivering a googol of "information" to be recorded by it.

First, this tiny offshoot thread was not started nor meant to be any sort of
full critique of anything but AG's hyperbole:

On 1/9/2014 8:31 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Why not get the new Sony RX10 "bridge camera"? 24-200mm equivalent F2.8. The
> sensor is just a hair smaller than the
> 4/3 sensor.

Frank and Moose disagreed with the characterization of twice (or half) the area
being "just a hair". That's all our two
posts are about.

Then, if you are saying that the RX10 produces images with IQ equal to the
NEX-7, I'm politely skeptical until I see
examples. That will be possible soon enough, in the Raw versions of standard
shots of the major review sites.

If not, then you agree with my point, mostly stated in my other post
specifically on that point, which is that the RX10
is roughly as large and heavy as an ILC kit that will have better imaging
performance.

That it is a great camera I suspect is true. That the lens is great, OK. But
unless it equals the IQ of a more flexible
ILC 3/4 or APS format kit of the same size and weight, it doesn't interest me.
Nor can I see why it would interest Bill.
Given his original question and subsequent comments on his confusion, it
doesn't fit any of the alternatives.

> The RX10 Zeiss Vario-Sonnar has the resolving power to fill the sensor with
> more than 20MP of data; i.e. the sensor is the limiting factor, not the lens.

OK, I have no way of, or interest in, proving or disproving that. But I can't
figure out how it makes any difference to
anything. The RX10 is a fixed lens camera. It produces what it produces,
regardless of the contribution of the various
components. And that's all that matters.

Results Count Moose