Re: [OM] What would you buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would you buy?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 20:01:22 -0800
Bill:  Rick Steve advises people to travel very light, as in 'two pairs
of underwear and wash them in the hotel sink.' And you'll be on the move
a lot. Given that, small and light is paramount.  Italy has a much
closer standard of personal space than the U.S., so you will be using
normal and wide more often than tele.  You also want good IQ, as this is
the trip of a lifetime.

For me, the thing that meets all the criteria is micro 4/3. When I had
"frozen shoulders" and could only carry a small amount, for several
trips I used a Panny G1, the 14-45 kit zoom (28-90 equiv, slow but quite
good optically), and the 20/1.7. That corresponded in coverage roughly
to my L-word rangefinder outfit. The lenses were fine. The G1 itself was
just barely adequate IQ-wise, but it was better than not photographing.
Fortunately, the current crop of m-4/3 cameras are much better.

For years, I shot a film M camera with 35, 50 and 90 lenses only. When I
got the M8 (1.33 crop factor), I added a little Voigtlander 28/3.5 to
get the wide end back. These outfits served me well on trips to Italy,
France, Switzerland and Israel.

Lately, I've traveled in N. America with an E-M5 and either 20, 25 and
45 primes, or the 20/1.7 and the kit zoom.

What I'm getting at is that you would be well served by one of the newer
micro 4/3 bodies, a compact zoom for daylight, and one fast lens of 35 -
50mm equivalent, depending on which is your "normal" focal length. This
would give you the best ratio of weight to performance, and the E-M1/5
and the GX7 are good as you'll need in the IQ department.  I believe
there's a new E-P-something that has the E-M5 sensor, that might bear
looking at.

That's my experience.  Your mileage may vary if you're a real tele or
superwide person.

--Peter

 > This summer I will be going on a 2 1/2 week tour of Italy which will be
 > opportunity to mark that off my bucket list.  We will be on a Rick
Steves