Re: [OM] OT: Home laser printer

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Home laser printer
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:19:31 -0600
On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My Canon 5000 inkjet printer got appropriated for home school use. I
> was buying bulk inks and loading my own. We were going through tons of
> pages a week. Amazing what school did. Anyway, the cost per page of
> ink, doing it this way, was a fraction of any other form of printing.
> We literally wore the printer out, as well as the replacement 500 I
> picked up off of the bay.
>
> Now, Canon puts chips in the tanks and you can't refill them anymore.
> Grrrr..

I don't think they're the only ones.  There have also been cases where it
was discovered that the in-cartridge chips were telling the printer that
the ink was empty before it actually was.  And one of the worst things is
when your printer uses a combo color cartridge - say you've been printing a
bunch of stuff that's magenta-heavy.  You run the M tank dry, but the Y & K
still have half their ink.  You have no choice but to toss it and get a new
one.

Average cost of inkjet ink from the manufacturer is $10,000 per gallon,
which is why they continually come up with new ways to force you to buy it
from them, as often as possible.  This is also why they sell the actual
printers so cheap - often very close to cost - because they know over the
lifetime of that $100 printer you'll have spent $2000 on ink.

To be fair, there are also a number of mfgs who are also chipping toner
carts for lasers, and if you use a 3rd-party or a remanufactured cart you
get either a dire warning that you're using unsupported toner that will
destroy your printer, cause your wife to leave you, and quite possibly
result in either sterilization or violent illness, or simply won't work at
all.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard