Re: [OM] OT: Home laser printer

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Home laser printer
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 00:45:18 +1030
On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 12:01:43PM +0000, Chris Barker wrote:
> I have a Brother HL-2030 which I bought secondhand in 2005 for my MBA
> assignments.  It is still going strong, with good quality prints, speedy
> delivery and a very small footprint.  I think that I?ve changed the cartridge
> once for a very reasonable cost.
>
> Chris
>
> On 30 Dec 2013, at 08:50, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > First check the price of replacement cartridges for a cheap laser printer.
> > Sometimes they are much more than the printer itself (which has been
> > supplied with a starter cart that's only 25% full!) There in the business
> > of selling plastic boxes of extremely expensive black powder. I have a
> > little Brother which is quite reasonable and I found fresh carts for it
> > online at only 60% of the cost of a whole new printer!
> > Andrew Fildes

Hear, hear...

The Brother laser printers are excellent.  I have a HL-2030 (which I've
had for several years) and it sits there. I send it a page or 3 every
month  and they come out just fine- much nicer behaviour than any of my

#1 son has the HL-2142 for Uni assigments. Mother has a HL-2142 also,
which has had about something like 13,000 pages through it over the last
3 or so years (the demands of small business - fortunately I can get
toner carts at wholesale) - it says it wants a drum now, but is still
going strong. The photoconductor drum costs far more more than a
replacement  printer (which includes the drum- bizarre...).

The rumour on the fora is that they are no good for doing toner transfer
for making PCBs or etched aluminium boxes (in particular:  for guitar
effects pedals).

Many of these models do legal paper.

davidt