Re: [OM] Journalism Today

Subject: Re: [OM] Journalism Today
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:34:14 -0800
On 12/12/2013 3:44 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Don't see your point. Those who earn, or have, pay income tax. Those who
> don't, don't. Yes?

I've tried to stay out of this, but it persists and it's too silly not to call
a foul.

I have no intent here to praise or blame the US or any other tax systems. I
don't have adequate information on which to
base an opinion.

What proportion of tax income in various countries comes from income tax? I
don't know, and unless you folks know, this
is a meaningless discussion.

The US and some other places have sales taxes, most of Europe and many other
places have value added taxes. US, Canada
and UK have Property Taxes/Rates. I assume other places do too. Some places tax
other personal property.

Part of my vehicle's registration is 'personal property tax', part 'fees'.
What's a tax, what a direct fee for services?
What services are paid for to private providers in one place and to governments
in another? Which of those payments are
counted as taxes? I'm not just talking hot topics like health care. I pay for
water, power and gas to public utilities,
officially not taxes. People in the nearby City of Alameda pay their city for
power. Taxes? A tricky legal issue that
affects income tax deductions.

I pay for garbage pickup in property taxes, sewer to city, but via a utility
bill. Everyplace in the US has differences
in these details - but the totals are considerable, and everyone living in a
dwelling is paying them, one way or
another. If your landlord pays property taxes, are you paying them? I've talked
to people who own mortgaged properties
who seem to think they aren't paying property taxes. The just write one check
per month, right?

In the US, many states have income taxes, a few don't have sales taxes. Sales
taxes in Calif. vary by county and city.

Long ago, I got a BA in Economics. I took several courses in international
economics and business. Coming up with a half
decent, let alone good, measure of total comparative tax rates is REALLY hard.
If you try to equate it to 'real', buying
power, income levels, it's pretty much impossible. Doesn't stop people trying,
though. :-)

The US income tax, as demonstrated, is relatively progressive. Our sales and
many other taxes are regressive.

People on the lower end pay, directly or indirectly, lots of taxes to various
levels of government. More where you are
than here? Less?

If you don't know, you are blowing hot air. Not just Andrew and other listees,
but the stuff posted in the links.

Moose D'Many Opinions