Re: [OM] Journalism Today

Subject: Re: [OM] Journalism Today
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 22:16:00 +0100
Only if you assume that the absurd money this small group collects will go
with them. I doubt that. But they will try to blackmail the rest with
exactly your argument.

Your reference to "The top 40 percent of households by before-tax income
actually paid 106.2 percent of the nation’s net income taxes in 2010" is
not a surprise with such a skewed income distribution. It is the result of
it.

You know of Jan Tinbergen? A Dutch economist who received the first Nobel
price of Economics in 1969
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Tinbergen>.

An interesting quote "Tinbergen became known for his 'Tinbergen
Norm<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tinbergen_Norm&action=edit&redlink=1>',
which is the principle that, if the ratio between the greatest and least
income in a company exceeds 5, it will not help the company and may be
counterproductive.". I can't find it easy on-line but one of his more
famous quotes I remember is something like 'if the richness doesn't go to
the poor, the poor come to the rich'. When combining these you might look
at the seeds of some revolution...

Best, Frank