Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:28:40 -0800
On 12/9/2013 5:50 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something here. But to me, the only reason menus exist on a
> camera is to customize the camera to a
> given shooting condition. Beyond that, they should never need to be touched
> in normal operation. A camera that forces
> the user into a menu of ANY kind during normal shooting is poorly designed.

And what is normal shooting? One problem these designers have is that we are
all different, and want different things. A
couple of examples:

On 12/9/2013 6:11 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> An example of this is that it takes a minimum of seven button presses to
> protect a single image.

I don't believe I have ever protected an image. The way I work, I can't imagine
why I would ever want to. That option
should be buried deep.

On 12/9/2013 6:53 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> Amen. But it is reasonable to have to go to a quick menu to change things
> like ..., focus point, ... and stuff like
> that, I think. ...

And what I want is a way to keep the damn focus point from moving. It would
occasionally wander on my Canons, but with
the absolutely fixed assignment of focus point setting to an arrow key that may
be bumped by accident, it is the single
most annoying thing about Pens and OM-Ds. At least I can disallow changing with
a touch of the screen.

On 12/9/2013 7:29 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

> I don't mind having a button which you press and then use the dials to
> adjust. However, we've been going through a
> phase where the camera manufacturers are influenced by the Apple iPhone and
> are taking away all the buttons and
> forcing you to interact with the camera through an adaptive interface which
> requires total distraction from everything
> else going on in order to see exactly where your finger is pressing.

Obviously you are using different cameras than am I. The E-M5 and GX7, although
very different in interface design, both
allow really extensive control without removing eye from VF.

The Pen E-PM2 is an interesting exercise in adequate control with minimalism.
By adding an Fn button to its predecessor,
it has all the controls for my main use, Av, with no extras to confuse of go
wrong - except ... If the damn focus point
control could be disabled (all arrow keys may be disabled at once, but not just
the one), it would be the ideal tool,
from a control design, for my use in many circumstances.

The other problem I run across is that either the interface designers are not
real photographers, or they are real
photographers from the past who have not adapted.

Look at an OM. There are three exposure variables the camera can control,
shutter, aperture and EV, with a dial for
each. Now there are four variables, as the camera can control ISO.

Nobody has four dials/wheels. The GX7 is pretty slick, with the rear wheel
doing dual duty, as pushing it in switches it
to EV adjustment. But then they fail to fully use the hardware. It has all
those control wheels, then doesn't allow full
use of them. In Av mode, BOTH wheels control aperture. In Sv Mode, Both control
shutter speed. Hello???

They fail to understand that with three primary variables, the user may want to
set any two and let the third be set by
AE. In Manual mode, the Auto ISO option DISAPPEARS! Just DUMB.

Oly at least understands that. In Manual Mode, as in Av and Sv, one may still
choose fixed or Auto ISO.

Program Me Moose