[OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag

Subject: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 20:17:03 -0500 (EST)
>>Pages 87 and 22 are not very informative for my problem but page 39
is
>>the key.  It clearly indicates (if you read the small print) that the
>>info button switches between the various displays if more than one is
>>turned on.  That was the point I was missing.  First, I was unaware
that
>>I had both of them turned on and didn't realize the info button would
>>switch between them.  Thank goodness the SCP is no longer a mystery
as
>>to why I could never find it.

I think the OM-D menu/manual is perhaps only a tad better than the EM-1
so wouldn't feel bad.The A7(R) manual is so thin and inadequate as to
be a joke. There is a larger users guide of some sort that leaked out
that is more useful and must be written by Sony.  You know something is
askew
however when you see posts on FM asking how to magnify the view or even
format a card!

Digiloyd doesn't mince words:

"Context: a kitchen-sink mess for a menu system is taken to its highest
(most pathetic design ever) expression with the Olympus OM-D E-M1. I’m
not sure that anything short of randomized order could do worse than
the menu disaster in the E-M1.

The Sony A7R succeeds in part by being less bad than the E-M1, which is
the most positive thing to be said about its menu system. Less bad in
two ways: fewer menu items that are cluttered yet more easily accessed,
and also better configurability; with the E-M1 I could never reprogram
certain key buttons that are hard-coded to features that are of no use
for raw shooting. The A7R shares that hard-coded design limit with the
recalcitrant video button, which cannot be reprogrammed, only disabled
for non-video modes. But that button only.

Still, the saving grace with the A7R is that most control functions can
be mapped to buttons or dials, so that once configured the camera is
efficiently usable. In button programmability it might be called best
of breed. Which might be restated as “best approach to letting the user
bypass the horrific menu design”.

Still both good cams and would be happy with either.  Menus/manuals
inflict temporary pain.  Must be some  nomenclature ascribed to a
pathologic syndrome  charactised by reading manuals of cams  not
owned--at least yet that is

Menu mess, Mike