Re: [OM] OT: bike stand

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: bike stand
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 13:19:39 +0000
On 2 December 2013 13:00, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >On 12/1/2013 9:11 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
> >> I just tried replicating one of these using a monopod and a VersaRest,
> >> and the results were nearly disasterous! Unless you have some way of
> >> fully applying one of the brakes, the bike will roll forwards or
> >> backwards and subsequently fall over. The Kickstarter stand remains
> >> vastly superior as it is rigly attached to the bike, and its' shorter
> >> length makes it less likely to bend and fail. However, the inventor
> >> and machinist in me sees an alternative. Looks like an interesting
> >> rainy day project, of which we will have a few this coming weekend.
> >> Was that proper apostrophe usage?
> >

> >The stand comes with a band for locking the brakes. I am guessing this
> >will be an issue for the other stand as well.
> >

>      Maybe, but the short length of the support may be sufficient.  I will
> look around today for a suitable piece of aluminum for mine, plus visit the
> local hardware store for a needed small item.

In my limited experience of bicycle kickstands, the biggest problem is that
they don't stop the handlebars turning, inevitably leading to instability
and toppling if there's the slightest gradient in any direction.  I don't
think either of these addresses that problem directly.

Attaching an upstand to the front wheel might do it, but where then will it
fold up to?  it looks to be slightly longer than the wheel radius and so
might not clear the frame or rider's shins if attached there.

something like the clickstand clamped to the the stem ought to work.  Maybe
just leave a stub there permanently and slide the rest onto it and deploy
as necessary.  Hmm, might look into that myself.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer