Re: [OM] OT: bike stand

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: bike stand
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 06:57:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>>      Maybe, but the short length of the support may be sufficient.  I will
>>> look around today for a suitable piece of aluminum for mine, plus visit the
>>> local hardware store for a needed small item.
>>

>>In my limited experience of bicycle kickstands, the biggest problem is that
>>they don't stop the handlebars turning, inevitably leading to instability
>>and toppling if there's the slightest gradient in any direction.  I don't
>>think either of these addresses that problem directly.
>>
>>Attaching an upstand to the front wheel might do it, but where then will it
>>fold up to?  it looks to be slightly longer than the wheel radius and so
>>might not clear the frame or rider's shins if attached there.
>>
>>something like the clickstand clamped to the the stem ought to work.  Maybe
>>just leave a stub there permanently and slide the rest onto it and deploy
>>as necessary.  Hmm, might look into that myself.
>
>     I think everyone has that experience.  When I have a bike up on the stand
>I use a bungee cord from the wheel to the bottom bracket to keep the front
>wheel aligned with the frame, unless I need to keep the wheel free.  I have
>seen a stand that consists of a cradle that the handlebar rests in, but that's
>not at all portable, more for shows.

     I was sketching the last details of the bike stand that I was going to
make, and then was struck by a bolt of lightning and set it aside as I came up
with something far simpler and less expensive.  A quick search in my shop
yielded some pieces of PVC plumbing pipe, and the work began.  The next day I
had a simple, inexpensive bike stand that uses my Promaster 1100 monopod as the
support staff:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/11205936823/

     The snap-on attachment collar uses two pieces of PVC pipe:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/11205937203/

     The longer piece of 1" pipe has slightly less than 50% of the material
removed so that it firmly snaps on to the top tube.  The second piece is
cemented on so as to provide sufficient material for the 1/4-20 stud on the
monopod.  It does wobble slightly, but it requires nothing to be attached
permanently to the bike, no straps on the brake(s), and costs less than US$0.50
in materials.

     Another example of how immediate ideas can be complicated and costly,
while simpler ideas take some time to evolve.

Chris