Re: [OM] OT: bike stand

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: bike stand
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 06:29:49 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> >The stand comes with a band for locking the brakes. I am guessing this
>> >will be an issue for the other stand as well.
>> >

>>      Maybe, but the short length of the support may be sufficient.  I will
>> look around today for a suitable piece of aluminum for mine, plus visit the
>> local hardware store for a needed small item.
>

>In my limited experience of bicycle kickstands, the biggest problem is that
>they don't stop the handlebars turning, inevitably leading to instability
>and toppling if there's the slightest gradient in any direction.  I don't
>think either of these addresses that problem directly.
>
>Attaching an upstand to the front wheel might do it, but where then will it
>fold up to?  it looks to be slightly longer than the wheel radius and so
>might not clear the frame or rider's shins if attached there.
>
>something like the clickstand clamped to the the stem ought to work.  Maybe
>just leave a stub there permanently and slide the rest onto it and deploy
>as necessary.  Hmm, might look into that myself.

     I think everyone has that experience.  When I have a bike up on the stand
I use a bungee cord from the wheel to the bottom bracket to keep the front
wheel aligned with the frame, unless I need to keep the wheel free.  I have
seen a stand that consists of a cradle that the handlebar rests in, but that's
not at all portable, more for shows.

Chris