Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers

Subject: Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 14:55:29 +0000
You can with modern boxes, Chris.

My auto has manual selection, either on the gear selector or on the steering
wheel (“flappy paddles”).  And the transmission will change down on hills if
the overrun is strong enough and if you press the brake for a bit less than a
second.  It’s a very cool, adaptive, auto box.

And downshifting for the turn is overrated, in my view.  It puts unnecessary
stress on the transmission system when braking will cost much less.  And much
preferable to all that is anticipating the speed you need a little earlier. :-)

However, I do enjoy driving my wife’s little Audi A2 with its manual
transmission – ab und zu, as the Germans say.

Chris