Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers

Subject: Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 21:07:19 +1300
Not really planning to hit any deer, but in my own way things are looking up.

My Range Rover has been off the road for the last 2 years, the last year I have
had the
registration on hold to save more money.
Now that we have sold, albeit at a significant loss, Maggie's country 2 acres,
I can and am
steadily working to getting it back on the road.
I have bought the first of 2 new tyres, and having tested the 2nd and just
decided that it is
losing air through the sidewalls, will get another.
The main think that prevented me from getting the mandatory 6-monthly Warrant
Of Fitness
(WOF) roadworthness test was that the electronic air suspension (EAS) system
failed totally,
hence no WOF pass.

I did a serious check out of fitting coil springs, and was coming to the
decision that is was
maybe not all is was cracked up to be.

Then, following a search for local Landrover - 4x4 clubs etc I came across one
based 200
miles away and it had a full set of phone numbers.

I phoned the President.  Tuesday or Wednesday this week.
He was a very chatty, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable chap.

He eventually put me in touch with the self-styled 'invisible man' who has been
a very
knowledgeable LR and RR enthusiast, and is currently employed by an official
agency. But
he is scathing in his assessment of the skill at their people at interpreting
the computer fault
read-outs, and of their detailed knowledge in general.
He has written a program for a tiny ?tablet? computer  to read RR fault codes
etc.

To cut a long story short, where I was expecting to pay $2250 for replacement
of compressor
and valve block in the EAS, or $1100 + GST (15%) for fitting coil springs and
the fitter taking
away many of my car parts for re-sale, OR $750 for the invisible man to replace
his repaired
compressor and valve block, what he found was that not them, but a
memory/control module
in the same box was faulty. They rarely fail, and the Shop techo's never look
at them

2 hours in the dusk and $350  and I have a fully functional EAS system !!!

He was ready for it having listened to my description of the sequence of events
around failure
time.

Turned out that he wanted for his own reasons to come past my place that day,
and decided
to heed my call for help  The part is scarcely larger than my out-stretched
hand.

Next week, hopefully, a new tyre, a new WOF,  re-registration, long overdue
servicing of the
motor and also of the gearbox. And all should be roses.

Brian Swale. Daytime phone +64 03 449 2277
  http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/
  http://www.brianswale.com
           Mobile    021 145 4249
73 Fache Street, Clyde 9330, New Zealand

---
is active.