Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers

Subject: Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 09:21:00 -0600
>      I had a Studebaker a long time ago with an automatic.  Not bad, but
> after I experienced the (then) European "four-on-the-floor" fully
> synchronised manual transmission, I was hooked for life.  An automatic cannot
> see ahead and downshift for a turn, much the same as a cruise control cannot
> see ahead and anticipate the need to start accelerating before getting to the
> bottom of the grade.  Plus you cannot downshift an automatic to use
> compression braking.  Saves wear on the brakes, but you have to know how to
> do it properly so as not to add wear to the clutch.

The BMW has an auto tranny in it that allows you to do a substantial
amount of shifting control but yet has an "you aren't that stupid, are
you?" speed verification function to it to make sure that it keeps
from blowing parts through the hood. It also nanny's the brakes for
you when you are putting it into four-wheel drifts. (don't ask me how
I know). Evidently, the X5 is designed to keep the well-heeled soccer
moms from going too fast around the corners in the school parking
lots. All pretty normal features in almost all modern vehicles now,
but BMW seems to do it a little bit better than the average vehicle.

At the moment, there are two vehicles of interest for me. A fully
loaded 2004 X5 with 4.4L V8 (hubba hubba, that thing is quick), and a
2006 X3 with 3.0L that is mostly loaded. I find the X5 more comfy to
me as I'm a tall person with back pain, but the X3 would certainly get
better gas mileage. Both are essentially the same price. The 2006 X3
already has the bluetooth additions, but the 2004 needs the module
addition. Both are right around that 90k mile mark.

We'll see what this next week offers. I'll also check to see what's
out in Highlands Ranch at the BMW dealership there. Maybe a 2005 X5
with 3.0 will reveal itself.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx