Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers

Subject: Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 01:16:53 +1300
Andrew wrote

> Do they still make one where you can actuallly DRIVE and make your own
> mistakes? Drifting?  :-)
>
> Andrew Fildes
<snip>
> On 18/11/2013, at 2:21 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>
> The BMW has an auto tranny in it that allows you to do a substantial
> amount of shifting control but yet has an "you aren't that stupid, are
> you?" speed verification function to it to make sure that it keeps from
> blowing parts through the hood. It also nanny's the brakes for you when
> you are putting it into four-wheel drifts. (don't ask me how I know).
> Evidently, the X5 is designed to keep the well-heeled soccer moms from
> going too fast around the corners in the school parking lots. All pretty
> normal features in almost all modern vehicles now, but BMW seems to do it
> a little bit better than the average vehicle.

Not quite drifting, but close.
I had an interesting experience in the Range Rover not too long after I bought
it. Still living in
Christchurch, I used to visit Central Otago.
Maggie lived down a 5 km gravel road which joined the tar-sealed road to Clyde
with a T
junction. The gravel road being the vertical of the T.

Winter, fine, frosty. So I arrived at the T, and thought to myself, I wonder
how this thing
handles black ice?

I proceeded on to the tar, in a slow right turn, then gave the accelerator a
gentle nudge.

The result was a graceful 180 degree pirouette as the RR slid itself gently on
to the opposing
lane, pointing in the proper direction.

Worth doing.

Incidentally, salt is never used on winter roads here. People would be up in
arms at the
corrosion it would cause. ( Well, they "might". Actually as a country we are
too lily-livered to
make much noise about anything at all.)

On icy roads, fine crushed rock is used; This on its own makes dreadful hazard
even in
summer as it is swept to the side of the road - and sloping berm. If you get on
to that in error,
especially in a 4x4, the result is usually loss of directional control and
either a roll, or flips.

I have documented several such cases locally over the last 2 years.

Brian Swale

---
is active.