Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers

Subject: Re: [OM] Deer and Zuikohaulers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 06:27:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Winter, fine, frosty. So I arrived at the T, and thought to myself, I wonder
>how this thing
>handles black ice?
>
>I proceeded on to the tar, in a slow right turn, then gave the accelerator a
>gentle nudge.
>
>The result was a graceful 180 degree pirouette as the RR slid itself gently on
>to the opposing
>lane, pointing in the proper direction.
>
>Worth doing.

     Back when my dad was teaching me to drive, he took me to the iced-over
high school parking lot to show me how to handle driving on ice.  He had me
accelerate to almost the middle of the parking lot and then brake.  The car
spun about three times before coming to a stop.  He then taught me to take my
foot off the gas to recover from the early stage of a slide.

     Nice technique unless you own a FWD such as an Audi or a VW Rabbit.  When
I got my Audi 100 I went out to a large parking lot the first chance I got and
did the same thing all over again.  I learned to partially apply the hand brake
and gently press on the accelerator to recover.  That car could sled over low
snow drifts.  Best car I ever owned.

Chris