Re: [OM] Partial Solar Eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] Partial Solar Eclipse
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:17:19 -0500
  I have had the good fortune to have experienced a total eclipse (the same
one Chuck mentioned) in 1970 and an annular eclipse when I lived in NY
which, IMSMC, was in 1993. Both were stunning in different ways. As others
have described, at the time of totality it is suddenly darker, the
temperature drops, winds died and the birds went silent. A friend of mine
and I were shooting basketball in the backyard waiting for it. We just
stood there with our mouths hanging. The Annular eclipse was most notable
for the peculiar lighting effect. As the moon is further out in its orbit,
the smaller apparent diameter allows for a ring of the sun to be visible at
"totality". All shadows have a mufti-refingent appearance that is hard to
describe but never forgotten. I didn't have the equipment at the time to
photograph it properly but had built a pinhole view-box to watch it safely.
   I'm really excited about the one in 2017. I've already begun searching
Google Maps to find the perfect location for a number of photos I would
like to take. I've also got to get the exposure times worked out better for
the Thousand Oak solar filter I have.
  Chuck, if you are in the area then, we should get together for this one.

Charlie