Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - apparently, bad at math

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - apparently, bad at math
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 09:18:58 -0500
You're doomed to failure if you want your week numbers to always end up
at 52.  The year consists of either 365 or 366 days (for leap year)
neither of which is evenly divisible by 7 and 7 x 52 only gets to 364.
That gives you and extra day or two which will usually roll you over to
week one of the following year but eventually you accumulate enough days
to have a 53rd week.  You have to follow some standard (such as given by
Jez's ISO standard link where weeks start on Monday)
<http://www.epochconverter.com/epoch/weeknumbers.php>
If you follow the ISO standard you'll see that 2015 has 53 weeks.
<http://www.epochconverter.com/date-and-time/weeknumbers-by-year.php?year=2015>

Long term, the rotation of the earth is slowing, days are getting longer
and the number of days in a year will eventually be less.  Fortunately,
we don't have to plan for that.

Chuck Norcutt