Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All the Time Will Kill Its Batte

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All the Time Will Kill Its Battery Faster
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:52:38 -0400
As John O'Regan notes, it's possible that the off-mains usage time of my
battery is now down to 2 hours rather than 6.  I don't know since I
rarely use it off the mains but wouldn't be surprised.  What I am
surprised at is that it's still working at all after more than 6 years
of "abuse".  None of my camera lithium-ion batteries have lasted that
long except the Energizer Canon BP-511 clone that's still running after
7 years.  The original Canon BP-511 for the 5D came close but died at 6
years... perhaps from more frequent usage.

The Krappy Kolor laptop is perfectly usable for most things but horrible
for viewing photos.  It's a normal TN panel with significant loss of
color and contrast off-axis.  I think it's color performance is limited
by being (I suspect) a 6 or 7 bit device rather than 8.  I don't attempt
to edit or judge photos with it.

And, of course, we have much different views on what's considered
"waste" that's significant enough to worry about.  Certainly energy use
isn't your only criterion in selecting a car.  Otherwise you'd be
driving something like a Honda Fit rather than a Bimmer.  But you did
cause me to think about this a bit.  Plugging and unplugging the
laptop's power brick is a pain since it's under the desk.  An extension
cord with switch could solve that but likely rarely be remembered.
Maybe a simple timer could reduce the power draw.  But only if the timer
drew less power than the idle brick and I have no way of knowing that.

Chuck Norcutt