Re: [OM] New rolling camera bag

Subject: Re: [OM] New rolling camera bag
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 01:34:34 +1200
Andrew F wrote:

> This is a constant bugbear of mine. In my view, the indicator should be on
> the opposite side to the gear shift - that way you can shift gear and
> operate the indicators simultaneously. Most cars in Australia are like
> this - indicator stalk on the right.. But a significant number of cars in
> the UK have the indicator and gear shift on the same (left) side which is
> awkward in some circumstances. I find this the hardest thing to get used
> to in changing cars and countries - manual to automatic, no problem; eft
> hand to right hand, soon mastered. But I find myself turning on the bloody
> wipers instead of the indicators for weeks afterwards and that's quite
> dangerous. It's lazy. In the UK, it's European manufacturers who don't
> bother to switch them over. In the US I'll bet it's Japanese vehicles on
> the 'wrong' side as they drive (sensibly) on the left. That of course is
> the sole reason that they came to dominate the vehicle manufacturing
> industry

Well, I have to disagree.
I much prefer to have the direction indicator lever on the same side (left) as
the gear change. That way it is possible to have the right hand on the
steering wheel at all times.
I changes my old Transit van to suit that standard, and I'm pleased to say
the the Rangie and my better half's Beemer  conform.
I think that my old 404 and my old Beetle also conformed.
My present Starlet doesn't and neither does Maggie's Mazda Presso.

I've often thought of altering the Starlet, but never got a round tuit.

Brian Swale