Re: [OM] New rolling camera bag

Subject: Re: [OM] New rolling camera bag
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:16:51 -0600
> It irritated them that they kept being passed by Bedouin in the
> 2wd Toyota or Datsun light trucks that have more-or-less
> replaced camels in the Saudi countryside. Those guys knew
> the trails and never got stuck,

It's not uncommon for 2wd to outperform 4wd in sand. For one thing,
you generally only have two wheels burying themselves, not four. The
fronts get to float over the sand more. Personally, I prefer 4wd in
the sand, but that's because I try to keep the wheels from throwing
sand anyway.

There's also the aspect that with 2WD, you can run the air pressure
lower on the fronts to help them float even more. Another trick that
you sometimes see is the front tires have no tread. Treads break the
surface of the sand.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx