Re: [OM] Image Editing System

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Editing System
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:23:27 -0400
My current machine (since last October) is a refurbished HP Pavilion
with AMD 4 core processor and on-chip video, 8GB RAM and Win 7.  The
only additions to it other than as it came out-of-the-box were to add a
1TB SATA drive for image storage and an eSATA card to support the
Thermaltake BlacX drive dock for backups.  The machine has USB 3.0 ports
which I tried to use for backup via a USB 3.0 to eSATA converter but it
proved unreliable.  I don't know if the problem is the USB 3.0 ports or
(more likely) the cheap converter but it doesn't matter since the eSATA
card (from the old Dell XP machine) works just fine.

I paid $350 for the machine (with free shipping) and nothing for the
additions since they came from the old WinXP machine.  I have made
absolutely no additions, modifications or tuning changes to support PS6.
  I'm sure I could diddle with it and tune it to go faster but it's
working fine for me as is.  I forgot to mention that it's running my
Dell 24" IPS display from the old machine which is still operational.
Both use the same monitor, keyboard (ancient IBM PC clicky type) and
mouse via a KVM switch.

On the other hand, I do not have 1/2 million images to manage.

Chuck Norcutt