Re: [OM] (OM) OT another to my list of questions

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT another to my list of questions
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:21:08 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

>> I just start playing with Picasa, it looks good. To make things simple
>> you
>> should put all your images in one folder (with sub-folders inside) and
>> set
>> the searching for this folder only otherwise it will search all your
>> connected hard disks.
>
> Not necessary. You may flag each drive, folder, sub-folder to be searched
> once, never, regularly, whatever.

Yes, it is not necessary, I have seperate drives and folders flag for
checking. But for many starters it is easier to put all their image folders
inside a big folder to start with. Then change each sub-folders' setting
when required. I have less than 40K images to handle so setting them all to
"Scan Always" is still extremely fast.

> Turning off face detection, yes. But no matter what the settings, it would
> run a very long time for Tina. She already
> has her catalog in LR. I can't imagine any reason to switch down to
> Picasa.

I have no idea what LR is capable of but if she can manage her images with
LR just no need to try Picasa.

>> You can set captions for each image, it can be found with search at no
>> time.
>
> Yes, the search function is quick.
>
> I would hesitate to spend many hours adding keywords without finding out
> if the database may be read by other software
> and/or converted to the format of other indexing products.

I have not start putting keywords at the moment, just tried a few images for
test purpose. My image folders are named by date, location or event, I can
do some simple search at the moment. It is a lot of work to put all those
key words on each image and it is hard to decide what key words to use.

C.H.Ling