Re: [OM] (OM) OT another to my list of questions

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT another to my list of questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 02:48:08 -0700
On 6/11/2013 1:07 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:

> By contrast, I found Picasa to do the converse - there is no need to
> "import" because it automatically finds every single image file on the
> computer, including all manner of stuff that I would not want it to include
> - such as icons, graphics from web pages and so forth (for the avoidance of
> doubt!).

I am not a big fan of Picassa. But in fairness, it is quite easy to set what
directories it does and doesn't search for
new image files. One may also set some to be scanned once, then not monitored
automatically for changes. Good for
avoiding time spent checking older image directories that won't be changing.

> But what it doesn't do is provide an easy database facility. If I
> want to catalogue the Picasa way, I don't need Picasa, as I can use a DOS
> box to use DIR!

Also not quite true. It does keep a catalog, although I've not looked where,
nor do I know whether it is accessible in
other ways. And it does search on EXIF items and keywords, rather efficiently.

Not quite what I want, but really quite capable - for free.

Categorical Moose