Re: [OM] (OM) OT another to my list of questions

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT another to my list of questions
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:07:16 +0100
You are making a wholly specious distinction, Chris! Adobe use the term
"import", granted, but that does not impose any restrictions on the way you
have the image files arranged on your computer, nor does the way you have
the image files arranged on your computer impose any limitations on the way
the Lightroom database works. I do choose to have all my images stored the
way Lightroom chooses, using the command sequence Import - Copy to take a
copy from the CF card into Lightroom's catalogue - it suits me, as I did not
have any organised image storage before LR (which was the main attraction of
LR for me). But I could equally well use the command sequence Import - Add
which incorporates the image into the LR catalogue _without moving it from
its existing location_ . And when in LR, I can easily find the file/folder
location of any image in the LR catalogue using the option to "open in
Explorer" which simply drops out into Windows Explorer. I imagine there is
an Mac-alike command.

By contrast, I found Picasa to do the converse - there is no need to
"import" because it automatically finds every single image file on the
computer, including all manner of stuff that I would not want it to include
- such as icons, graphics from web pages and so forth (for the avoidance of
doubt!). But what it doesn't do is provide an easy database facility. If I
want to catalogue the Picasa way, I don't need Picasa, as I can use a DOS
box to use DIR!

Piers