Re: [OM] Image Editing System

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Editing System
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:36:12 -0400
And so you make my point. You seem to have amnesia when it comes to the
vagaries of installing and uninstalling Windows software. Or at least the
software from back when I was using it--from the beginning up to XP. After that
I neither know nor care. I switched, and I ain't switching back. Oh, I do have
one Windows machine that stuff functions, but every time I fire it up I have to
wade through screens of crap that pops up to annoy me. Most of it has to do
with anti-virus and anti-malware stuff. Why do I have it running still? Used to
be because it ran my printing program, Q-Image, which the developer refused to
write for Macs. Now, I print entirely out of Lightroom, which runs circles
around Q-Image. So I need the Windows box only for filling out an electronic
time card, and I really don't need that because I get by HQ often enough to do
it there.

Windows is very close to being banished from my house for all of eternity. I
will celebrate. I will open fine wine. Perhaps I will get out my sledge hammer
and batter my Windows machine into scrap.

We're not going to change one another's minds, you know. Windows is crap. I
know it's crap, and nothing you can or will say will change my mind. You
disagree, which is your prerogative, even though you're wrong. <g>  I am
biased, but my bias is based on years of experience as someone for whom
computers are tools to accomplish tasks, and Mac just gets in the way less of
accomplishing those particular tasks. I will concede there might be tasks out
there that would cause me to argue the other side, but I don't have any such
tasks, so the point is irrelevant.

As for iPhone and Android, seems the same to me except that I don't have and am
not likely to have any experience or use for Android. I like my iPhone, I like
it's operating system, and so far the only thing it's done I don't like is
populate my calendar with a gazillion birthdays or my Facebook friends. I fixed
that with one setting change. Android exists because iPhone existed first. Same
as Windows exists because Mac's GUI existed first. Why bother with the "clone"
when you can have the real thing?

Will this always be the case? I don't know. Probably, because I'm old enough
now that I have no interest whatsoever in going back to the ground floor for
anything. If it comes to that, I'll just quit. There are worse things in life
than eating eggs benedict with fresh lobster and riding one's motorcycle along
the coast of Maine. Computers? I don't really need no stinkin' computers! Cell
phones? Convenient, but hardly necessary. How often does one need to check
one's Facebook page?

FWIW, just upgraded to Lightroom 5. Based on a few new features, I'd say it's
_very_ close to being a complete replacement for Photoshop. Throw in a couple
of plug-ins from onOne and NIK, and I'm not sure Photoshop is all that relevant
anymore.

--Bob Whitmire
Registered Neanderthal