Re: [OM] New to TOPE Galleries - thread-jacking inside

Subject: Re: [OM] New to TOPE Galleries - thread-jacking inside
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:08:37 +0100
A WARNING

Slight hijacking ahead :

I was the one who suggested 1750 x 950 to Bob as my 24 screen takes
them alright; at 1800 the lifts show up.

Now some of us may have smaller screens, or use different browsers
with larger banners on top/bottom; I think it should be this factor
that determines the size for the moment.

We'll all end up using 27 or over screens some day, but I would be
happy to please a majority so maybe a quick survey on screen sizes
could help.
OTT I don't think it a good idea to take tablets, or phones ... into
account as the site is about photography, for which tablets are hardly
a tool, and phone the worst thing to think of when you want to view a
photo. Of course YMMV.

End of hijacking, normal flight resumes, Captain Ken?

Amitiés
Philippe

Le 10 janv. 13 à 15:45, Frank Wijsmuller a écrit :

> As I understand it correctly the 'dpi' setting is irrelevant for
> monitor
> viewing. Assuming the monitor allows displaying the full size of the
> picture, the dimensions (pixels) of your picture determine which
> area of
> the screen is occupied, *not* the 'dpi'  setting of the picture.
>
> When resizing, the algoritm used (with it parameters) determine the
> quality
> of the resized image. The relation between the original dimensions
> and the
> resized dimension will probably influence the quality of the resized
> picture, but I expect the 'dpi' setting of the original picture  to be
> irrelevant as well.
>
> So given the 900 pixel default viewing size of the gallery & the
> actual algorithm used, there could be some native resolutions of the
> original picture that give a better 900-resized picture then others.
> 1800
> might be better then intermediate values, it is worth a try.
>
> Best, Frank
>

> 2013/1/10 Bob Whitmire
>
>> That brings up a question for your engineer, pixel-peeper types: Is
>> there
>> a set of best sizes for monitor display. Epson printers, for example,
>> prefer 360 dots per inch. You don't have to abide by their
>> preferences, but
>> print quality sometimes suffers at the odder dpi. Is 1024 pixies a
>> better
>> display than, say, 1750? Or, if the original is 800, should the
>> larger be
>> at 1600?
> --

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.