Re: [OM] [Way OT] And the science is hardly settled...

Subject: Re: [OM] [Way OT] And the science is hardly settled...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 06:08:09 -0500
Barbour's work is really about resolving the discrepancies between
relativity and quantum theories.  He does it by removing time from the
equations.  If time doesn't exist then relativity and quantum theory are
in agreement.  I'm actually (mostly) an agnostic but I find no conflict
between quantum theory and the existence of God.  Carried to its
ultimate, quantum theory says nothing exists except our consciousness.
Since Barbour's universe has no time everything that has, could or will
exist does exist.  Time is the perception of that timeless existence by
our consciousness.  What is the afterlife but a timeless (infinite)
existence of our consciousness?

Yes, I'm sure Barbour probably knows Dawkins.  But I wouldn't presume to
know the nature of their discussions.  :-)

ps:  I've recently become interested in accounts of near death
experiences (NDEs).  Some of the accounts of "time" by those who find an
afterlife are consistent with the view above.  Although there is a
perception of the sequential passage of time one need only think of
someone, somewhere or some "when" and you are there.

Chuck Norcutt