Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 19:51:44 -0500
My 19 year old gas furnace is scheduled to be replaced next Tuesday with
a newer, 96% efficiency gas furnace.  Was I pursuing noble goals with a
more efficient device?  No, just trying to avoid death. :-)

It appears that the old furnace has small cracks in the heat exchanger
and is releasing small amounts of CO into the house.  Not enough to set
off the CO detectors yet (only 3ppm measured next to the heat exchanger)
but worrying for the future nonetheless.

This is a known problem with this Lennox Pulse model furnace.  The Pulse
designation comes from its operation as a continuous series of tiny
explosions (sort of like a ram jet).  The vibrations may eventually
induce cracks in the heat exchanger and they finally have.  Fortunately,
there's another year left on the 20 year warranty.  Unfortunately, there
are no replacement heat exchangers.  So I'm getting an $1,100 rebate
from Lennox on the cost of a new furnace.  Even so it's still $3,300 of
unexpected expense. :-(

Chuck Norcutt