Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 05:48:10 +0000
Thanks for all that information, Rob.  I am considering an air-to-air heat pump
in our Annex, a very old stable converted to a one-bedroom dwelling, but it
would be only half-effective in heating the place.  However, it would be twice
as efficient as the 3 large storage radiators that currently heat the place, at
vast expense.

Our main dwelling could not become a Passivhaus as it has single-course walls:
to insulate them would require loss of space inside or unsightly insulation
outside, for which we would not be able to obtain consent from the Council.
But I'm glad to note your point about the improvement in COPs with the
air-source heat pumps and I feel that we might well go that route instead of
mains gas.

Chris