Re: [OM] Software Solution!

Subject: Re: [OM] Software Solution!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:07:29 -0700
On 7/31/2012 7:26 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> My slides and negatives are very efficiently filed in hanging slide pages
> in eleven lateral filing cabinets.  They are sorted first by country and
> then by subject.  61949_00618 would be Honduras (619), children (49) in
> file sheet number 6 in the 18th slot.  I've kept the same numbering system
> as I scan everything.  Digital files are not nearly as organized and are
> named by date and sequence. Finding a particular digital file would be a
> mess if I didn't use LR.  If I keyword as I import everything into LR, it
> is very simple to find anything - even faster than my old filing system!

You could, of course, have continued the manual numbering system as keywords in
LR's catalog. Certainly you would be
wise to do so for your film, as it is scanned.

> And I can search by camera, lens, my rating, keywords or any other
> metadata.

There are other applications for doing the metadata catalog work you are doing
in LR, separate from whatever
conversion/editing program one uses. Not that you should use anything else,
happy as you are with LR for conversion and
editing.

Just pointing out that a powerful cataloging system need not be tied to other
functions. Now if I could just get myself
to use one. :-)

Still Pedantic Today Moose