Re: [OM] Software Solution!

Subject: Re: [OM] Software Solution!
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:26:01 -0400
My slides and negatives are very efficiently filed in hanging slide pages
in eleven lateral filing cabinets.  They are sorted first by country and
then by subject.  61949_00618 would be Honduras (619), children (49) in
file sheet number 6 in the 18th slot.  I've kept the same numbering system
as I scan everything.  Digital files are not nearly as organized and are
named by date and sequence. Finding a particular digital file would be a
mess if I didn't use LR.  If I keyword as I import everything into LR, it
is very simple to find anything - even faster than my old filing system!
 And I can search by camera, lens, my rating, keywords or any other
metadata.

Tina

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Somehow I got Lightroom 3 and now 4 to accept my file structure. Damned
> if I
> > can remember how I did it. <g>
>
> It's on page 1172 of the manual. There's a little gray sidebar with
> the instructions there. Unfortunately, it's not searchable text
> because the sidebar is a graphic.
>
> :)
>

> > And I've started changing my structure to
> > make more use of LR4's capabilities, which mostly involve me not having
> > wander all over hell and half of Georgia to find what I'm looking for.
>
> Some of you may recall my uncertainty regarding going digital because
> of the file structure. I had/have a terrific filing system for all my
> slides. I realized that I could copy that system for use in
> directories. Well, a funny thing happened along the way. I didn't.
> Sure, it is to some extent, but what have done is sucked in the images
> and filed them by date. The directory is named by date and a
> descriptor. Does it work? Not really. I wish I would have stayed
> disciplined and organized them properly all along. The stuff I DID do
> it properly--those are easy. But in reality, my situation with the
> digital files is identical to that with my sheets of negatives. I have
> never found a filing system that works there.
>
> I'm puzzled by something. Isn't hell and half of Georgia redundant?
>
> ;)
>
> AG
> --
> Ken Norton