Re: [OM] Software Solution!

Subject: Re: [OM] Software Solution!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:45:40 -0700
On 7/30/2012 8:26 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>>> I couldn't work without it. [Lightroom]
>> And I can't work with it.
> Moose, I'm a little confused here. You have identified a particular
> need. The solution is presented, but you aren't accepting of the
> solution...

Read my post that started this thread. In it, I defined a problem - and
identified a good, free solution I had found.

I was offering the solution to anyone else with the same need. I didn't ask for
any further solutions.

Some nice folks here nevertheless offered the information that there is also an
excellent solution in LR. I replied that
$150 is a lot of money for a solution to a problem I no longer have, as I have
no other use for LR.

> Now that I've gotten that off my chest.

Phew, I feel your relief, even if the pressure was unnecessary.

> (We really are alike. You know that, right?)

But of course! In long windedness, as well as other ways.

> Photo Mechanic may be just the ticket you are looking for.

Another $150 solution to a problem I no longer have? ;-)

> On Saturday, I spent a few hours with a photographer friend who was
> helping me move the washer and dryer to our new house. As is to be
> expected, we got around to talking about cameras and software. He uses
> both Lightroom and Capture One. Capture One for the actual Raw
> conversions, Lightroom for the import, sorting and some
> post-processing. An anology came to mind:
>
> [Snip audio<=>visual analogy]
>
> This is how he and I feel about Lightroom. From a technical
> perspective, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and the
> pictures are just fine. But when compared to some of the other
> converters, the Lightroom files look "solid state". Capture One files
> look "tube". Who knows what it is, but this is something that I sense
> and can see in people's images posted all around the web. When I look
> at portraits and wedding pictures done by other professional
> photographers, I can see the Lightroom "look" without understanding
> why it has that look.

I understand what you are getting at. In the case of LR, I've never gotten far
enough along to notice such things. I
have never liked the interface and operational paradigm, nor its close cousins
in other converter/editors. Partially a
matter of personal taste, I'm sure, but also the frustration of wanting to do
things I can do in PS, but not in LR.

Perhaps I will have an epiphany one day, but until then ... :-)

> [Snip more audio<=>visual analogy]

Stubborn Moose