[OM] Software Solution!

Subject: [OM] Software Solution!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:05:55 -0700
For years, I've used Canon's Zoombrowser to download images from flash drives.
It was simple and worked for all the
cameras I had. A minor annoyance was that I then needed to separate JPEG and
Raw files when shooting both.

Now, with an Oly, it downloads the JPEGs fine, but ignores the ORFs. So I
started looking around for a general solution ...

There is a lot of inadequate stuff out there. Lots that will download, nothing
at first that had flexible file naming
conventions and would split the file types on download.

Worse, some ignored and didn't themselves set the flags that an image had
already been downloaded, at least a couple let
me select which images. A few were Adobe Bridge, FastStone, Breeze, both free
and pro, Picassa, maybe another. Several
others I looked at clearly weren't worth trying.

Then, a couple of days later, I came across PIE, Picture Information Extractor.
<http://www.picmeta.com/products/picture-information-extractor.htm>

The name and web site say little about download, focusing on browsing, metadata
operations, rotation, etc. The free
version won't change metadata, BUT ...

It's got the most powerful, flexible downloading module I've found. A lot of
flexibility in setting subdirectory naming,
will put Raw and video files in separate subdirectories, if you want, and that
you may name - AND - allows saving pre-sets!

I will have different pre-sets for each different camera. Just insert card,
select a pre-set, and off it goes! Wonderful.

Import Happy Moose