[OM] Photos from RAGBRAI day 5 -- I made it!

Subject: [OM] Photos from RAGBRAI day 5 -- I made it!
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:20:20 -0500
Reporting in from Day 5 of RAGBRAI, the "[Des Moines] Register's Great
Bike Ride Across Iowa." 20,000 riders this year.  I don't know whether
that is official or unofficial, the unofficial being much larger because
it would, I guess, include people like me who just pop in and ride a day
or two if they can.  Having lived in Iowa all but two years in which
RAGBRAI has been running over these last 40 years, I feel somehow
strange admitting that this was my first time to ride in it.

Yesterday was a long day at 92 miles, but the conditions were great with
tail winds most of the way and much cooler temps than previous days.  I
was definitely gassed at the end, but it was an ego trip because of such
nice tail winds.  I rode my Fuji 10-speed that I bought in 1976.  I'm
sure there were older bikes, but I never saw one.  I was passed by many
and I passed many myself.  My brother and I stayed together and finished
with about six hours of actual riding time.  We were happy.

I was also the only person I saw who carried an SLR.  I took my E-410
and two lenses in my rack bag.  The photos are mainly snaps in the towns
we rested and refueled in.

http://jfwilcox.jalbum.net/RAGBRAI%20day%205/

May I make a suggestion?  Click the first image to open it and then
click the "i" in the legend that appears at the top of the screen to get
the narrative to appear.

Many colorful jerseys, many senioritas, and even a bit of frontal
nudity.  It was quite an experience.  I did what I could but it's really
hard to do it justice.

Joel W.