Re: [OM] IMG: At the Airport Today

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: At the Airport Today
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:44:19 +0100
Well, Jim, try reading the report into the Air France crash; the pilot in
control might just as well have been for all he seemed to know about
controlling the Airbus -- and avoiding the stall.  That's how it looks from the
reports and transcripts that I have read.

I flew the Jaguar for nearly 4 years, an aircraft with an inertial navigation
system that was pretty accurate but which needed monitoring for drift.  The
Tornado that I flew was similarly untrustworthy for navigation, except for the
fact that there was a back-seater whose job was to look out and keep the kit
accurate with radar fixes.

I use GPS for navigating my car, sometimes, but I work out where it should be
taking me first, and monitor its performance while I am using it.

There is still not much that can beat the human brain for interpreting external
cues of various sorts.

Chris