Re: [OM] IMG: At the Airport Today

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: At the Airport Today
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 06:09:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> With little activity on a slow day at the airport, my attention
> turned to a guiding light that has been around for 70 years.
> When this was a training base during WWII, this green and white
> beacon sat atop the base water tank, offering guidance to the
> student who was coping with night landings, or just doubtful of
> his position.  When the tank was condemned many years later, the
> beacon was moved to a pole near the flight line, not nearly as
> high, but still useful.  Today, it shares the pole with modern
> communications antennae, but still burns brightly.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Guiding+Light+29.jpg.html

     North of York, PA there remains one of those that was an airway marker
beacon.  Those were in use prior to the establishment of the LF radio beacons,
and the last of those were up in Alaska along a Blue Airway until about 20
years ago.  When I was flying in the 70's there was still a Red Airway around
Cape Haterras.

Chris