Re: [OM] IMG: From the Airport - Again

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Airport - Again
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 19:30:26 -0500
Hi Ken,

I can imagine you have had a very busy day!

Normally, unfriendly stall characteristics are corrected by "washing out" or
reducing the angle of incidence of the wing as one moves from the wing root
to the tip.  This has the ability to allow the wing to begin to stall near
the root, reducing lift, while still allowing flow over the ailerons to
maintain roll control.

At high angles of attack, such as on approach and landing, flow begins to
separate from the upper airfoil surface behind the point of maximum
thickness, somewhere near the 1/4-chord of the wing.  The vortex generators
are added to creat mixing of higher energy flow with the boundary layer,
delaying this separation.  This permits predictable operation at slightly
higher angles of attack, and hence, lower approach speeds, with the benefits
you would expect from these changes.

They are also added to the tail surfaces for similar purposes, allowing the
controls to be effective at lower airspeeds, to improve low-speed control
effectiveness.

That's my aero lecture for today..........

Now get some rest!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA