Re: [OM] IMG: From the Airport - Again

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Airport - Again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 15:34:16 -0700
I'm behind in looking at posted images - and hopelessly behind in commenting.

Something about visiting family and obsessing about whether to buy an OM-D and
what lenses and accessories to get.

On 7/15/2012 11:03 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> I have a Leica Elmarit-R 28mm that I purchased as a "normal" lens for my 4/3
> bodies, but found it very difficult to focus.  I took it to the airport on
> the E-1, set up to zone focus and use as a point and shoot.  Most of these
> images were made that way, though some were manually focused.
>
> Sometimes, things just catch your attention, like these shadows:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Shadows+68.jpg.html

I like that sort of shot, and this is a good example

> Interesting forms are added to airplanes in order to increase efficiency:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Winglet+64.jpg.html

Clouds not quite as nice as the DC-3.

I'll see that, and raise you a double winglet. :-)
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2009/IntheAir&image=IMG_1477ia.jpg>

Seen heading East, into the rising sun, "The Dawn's Early Light".

> <snip aircraft stuff I know nothing about>
>
> Most people recognize the powerplant of that old workhorse, the DC-3:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/DC-3+55.jpg.html

I think this is the finest image you've posted in quite some time. Composition
is wonderful, the weathered finish on
prop and nacelle is deliciously soft/gentle and the sky is just perfect! I
don't know what combination of weather, E-1,
lens, processing, etc. did it, but I just love the color/texture/whatever of
those clouds.

There's also something moving, bittersweet, about the DC-3 that spent so many
years up in those skies, no longer able to
do so, but full of memories of being free in the sky.

> ... Looking at these images, I think I will try this more often.

Good idea!

About a few later images:

Wal-Mart in B&W? Nah, doesn't work for me.

Dragonflies. Nice capture, serendipitous or not. How come the dragonflies don't
have winglets? There is only a hint of
sharpening halo on the earlier winglet image leading edge. Here, it has become
stronger, expanded to the back of the
black part, and afflicts the dragonflies, as well.

Vortex Generators. So that's what those are for. I've idly wondered when I've
seen them on commercial flights I've taken.