Re: [OM] T32 in auto +OM4T in manual, what's going to happen?

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 in auto +OM4T in manual, what's going to happen?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:52:43 -0500
> It gives you *it's* full power.  It just doesn't happen to be equal to
> the spec.  I've tested many flashes and... none of them do.

It does EVENTUALLY get there, but long after the flash ready light comes on.

I recall that Olympus did game the flash power ratings a little bit.
They weren't alone in this as most companies did to one extent or
another. I became keenly aware of this when I bought the IS-1 and G40
flash. The IS series uses the distance measurement from the auto-focus
system to determine power output. As long as the subject was in focus,
the subject would be properly lit.

More or less...

What Olympus did was under power the flash slightly to accomodate
reflected light. So, the GN rating wasn't based on direct flash
without reflections, but on direct with some reflection. Probably
about 1/3 stop worth.

However, I'm not entirely sure this is uniform across all platforms.
The T45 is pretty much dead on. I've carefully measured it in
non-reflective environments with a couple different flash meters and
each manual setting is consistantly within 2/10 of a stop.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx