Re: [OM] A shot with higher dilution for contrast control

Subject: Re: [OM] A shot with higher dilution for contrast control
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 12:00:51 -0500
I agree with your method.  Much better to develop everything if possible
with the proper tonalities to print on a #2 paper (or whatever you
standardize on).  There are many variables one can use to deviate from
standard practice in order to develop for unusual, non-standard
exposures.

I have never heard of using different dilution strengths to meet these
different exposure conditions.  That is quite an interesting approach.
Most people, I would guess, use a single dilution and vary the amount of
development time to increase or decrease contrast in the negatives.

I think I understand your methods clearly enough.  I just don't really
know what dilution strength you are using compared to me.  1:20 is a
very strong dilution of the version of HC110 I use and would require a
very short development time for a slower film.  It wouldn't be a useful
dilution level, in terms of my experience with the HC110 I have
available in the USA) to decrease the contrast of the negative.  So I
have concluded that we are using ratios like 1:20 or 1:63 (which is what
dilution H is in parts of HC110 syrup to water) in different ways.  In
other words, your "1" part of HC110 is different from my "1."

Dilution H (1:63) is unofficial, not really sanctioned by Kodak, and
provides a lot of flexibility to alter development effects by changing
agitation or time of development.  It is considered good for
compensating development, which allows the developer to become exhausted
in the highlight areas while allowing the lower tones to develop more,
so it can be a good dilution strength to accomplish the same thing you
had in mind in your example.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with HC110.

Joel W.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 10:33 PM, Michael Wong wrote:
> As my another post said, my dilution forms are not "general formula". My
> teacher taught me to develop films with different dilutions for different
> contrast shots. Thus, do not think any "general formula" on my pictures.
> consider the film development process to make enlarging prints more easy.
>
> Some of my classmates wouldn't care the process of film development and
> make enlarging prints difficulty. They'd rather to enhance printing
> skills
> to "rescue" the picture more than concentrate at preparation before
> shots,
> how to develop a good film. I understood "rescue skills" in darkroom is a
> benefit for those pictures are not good in shooting or developing but
> there
> will spend much of time & money for a picture. Thus, I will take good
> preparation before the shot & develop a good film more than to "rescue" a
> picture. That's my view, just share my 2 cents.

                          wherever you are