Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")

Subject: Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:53:04 -0700
I've not been to the Grand Canyon. Started that way at least once. I suppose we
need to go. :-)

My first wife and I did a considerably more strenuous and adventuresome visit
nearby, to Havasu Canyon, Supai and the
falls in the canyon below Supai.Havasu is one of the largest side canyons of
the GC, and unique in that springs where it
cuts through a water table provide year round water. The bottom of the parts of
the canyon at the bases of falls feels
more like the tropics, hot and humid, than the hot and dry all around.

The two major falls that we visited are here, Havasu lower right, Mooney(?)
upper left.
<https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.258999,-112.704277&spn=0.014776,0.02208&hnear=Berkeley,+California+94708&t=h&z=16>

Looking at the aerial photos, I can't believe we hiked all the way out from the
lower falls in one day. We planned to
stop and camp where the trail leaves Havasu Creek. When we got there, it was
still light, we felt pretty good and
setting up camp seemed like a lot of trouble. Maaannn, those final switchbacks
up the cliff are a long way at the end of
a 15 mile day. It just started to get really dark when we got to the car.

The falls have been through a lot of changes in 42 years, so these images
aren't what they look like now. Nor do I look
much like that skinny kid who could do that kind of hiking with a heavy pack on
his back. I don't think I'm as gutsy now
either. Look for me standing on overhanging tufa at the top of the falls in no.
4. :-)
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Havasu/>

It seems there are some restrictions now on how many people can go in and where
you can camp. I wasn't aware of any
restrictions back then.

Canyon Moose