Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")

Subject: Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:02:39 -0400
Check this Google map link.  It will give you an idea
<https://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=grand+canyon&near=grand+canyon+lodge++highway+64+Arizona+86023&sll=36.018559,-112.055054&sspn=0.326005,0.465546&ie=UTF8&z=9&iwloc=E&om=1>

The spot marked as "C" is the Grand Canyon Lodge located on the north
rim of the canyon.  <http://www.grandcanyonforever.com/>  The squiggly
blue/gray line running west to east and then north is the Colorado River
that formed the canyon.  At some places the canyon is a mile deep.

Note the sparsity of roads.  If you scroll the map up a bit you will see
Interstate route 40 (I-40) running east/west about 60-70 miles to the
south.  You will also see Arizona route 64 (aka US highway 180) running
north from I-40 to Grand Canyon Village which is on the south rim.  The
distance across the canyon from there to the Grand Canyon Lodge on the
other side is about 10-11 miles.  There is no easy way to get across.

Fair weather tourists like me go to the viewing points on the south or
north rims.  But if you are adventuresome you can hike down to and
perhaps some way along the river, ride some mules along a path, go
rafting on rubber boats through the rapids, fly over on a helicopter.
If you are too adventuresome you may not come back.  There are many
places along the river where there is no way out except to keep
following the river through sometimes very dangerous rapids.  That's
because the only alternative may be to climb up thousands of feet of
steep rock walls.

Chuck Norcutt