Re: [OM] Neck and shoulder

Subject: Re: [OM] Neck and shoulder
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:03:47 -0400
In line with Moose's comments here I'm reminded of my failing knee
joints.  It was my intention to have both of them replaced at the same
time but the surgeon said;  "No, I'll only do one at a time. So which
one do you want done first?"  Because the left had been causing me the
worst pain I said: "The left."  He said: "Now that's a surprise.  You
have absolutely no cartilage in your right knee... it's bone on bone.
In your left knee you have about half of the cartilage left.  Care to
reconsider?"   I didn't truly understand but was at least smart enough
to say: "Do the right one."

Some long while after the knee replacement and after I had started
walking correctly again I noticed that my left knee no longer hurt.
Apparently I had been favoring the right knee and shifting most of the
burden to the left.  Once the right knee was replaced and could hold its
own the left knee problem went away.  Today, some 3 years later, the
left knee starts to complain a bit after about 1/2 hour of walking so
it's likely going to join its mate eventually.  But that may be 5 years
or more after the initial surgery on the right.

I state all this just to emphasize that what hurts may not be its own
cause.  Were I faced with your same problem I'd go see the physical
therapy guys who worked with me during the knee recovery and another
less traumatic problem.  When it comes to muscles and bones these guys
make my doc look like an amateur.  And they don't charge nearly as much.
  Fortunately, the doc also knows when he is outclassed and is happy to
have me take my sore muscles and bones elsewhere.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt