Re: [OM] Neck and shoulder

Subject: Re: [OM] Neck and shoulder
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:51:11 -0500
Infinitively Split Moose wrote:
> My standard kit these days is 60D with Tamron 28-300 VC in hand/on strap and
> Canon 10-22 in small waist pack...

Yes, I do use waist bags too, but rarely. They kinda don't fit with my
girly figure.

> What I discovered was that I had taken to holding books, especially
> paperbacks, in my left hand alone, using my fingers
> to hold them open.

I ran into a similar issue with the iPad. Same with various miice and
keyboards through the years. The iPad really opened up a matter of
concern as my elbow and wrist started getting inflamed. Getting a
grippy cover helped a lot as well as totally changing how I hold the
thing. Now that I mostly use my smartphone, the iPad is getting much
less use. Elbow and wrist are happy again.

> I don't know what sorts of alternative practitioners you have available
> there. Some of the alternatives to mainstream
> chiropractic, like Cranio-Sacral therapy, Network Chiropractic, acupuncture,
> and so on might help. Even regular bodywork
> with someone with Reiki of other healing energy expertise might do a world
> of good.

My primary chiropractor is specialized in a couple areas, such as
Kineseology and acupuncture. I don't handle traditional acupuncture
very well, so he does a non-penetrating alternative. I've studied this
through the years (at one point in the early '90s I was studing
massage therapy as a business) so I'm more willing and able to utilize
these techniques.

> Another area to explore is how emotional/psychological issues might be
> affecting your body.

Oh, most certainly. I know how I can get all knotted up when the
pressure gets too high. My wife has gotten pretty good at making sure
I don't get too overextended. No more 70 hour weeks, for example, and
she's letting me say "no" to a lot of stuff at the church. I run
sound/lights/video/broadcast and look pretty, but beyond that she lets
me stay low-key. I'll fill in with a class once in a while but have
begged off from from things demanding time/effort/energy. Around the
house, we keep the honey-do list to the bare minimum.

> I know you have a busy life, but a few minutes a day spent in quiet
> meditation might well make a difference.Some people
> make a big deal about technique and/or beliefs that must be used for
> meditation to be effective. I think that's unnecessary.

Agreed. I do try to "shut down" a few minutes each day, but it has
gotten increasingly difficult with the ever-present proliferation of
electronic devices constantly surrounding me. This "meditation", of
which you write, does take different forms. Sometimes prayer,
sometimes internal introspection, sometime contemplation, sometimes
just zoning out. The problem is that my mind seems to be constantly
racing most of the time with problem solving and dreaming (thinking)
about things. Classic ADHD issues.

AG