Re: [OM] (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:37:13 -0400
Yes, panos should be shot in manual mode.  Since I "expose to the right"
I first determine which end of the pano will be the brightest and do a
test exposure to run the histogram to the far right.  Then shoot all the
rest of the exposures at the same setting.

But even at the same setting there may be considerable difference in
exposure at the edges of adjacent frames due to vignetting.  So there is
still plenty of need for blending across frames.  Exposure variation
gets even worse if you use a polarizer since polarization varies
significantly with angle from the sun.  That can even be clearly seen
with a single shot using a wide angle lens.  Best to avoid polarizers on
panos with lots of sky.

I don't understand what you meant by: "if a moving bird were
"frozen" in the panorama, it's likely that there was some compression
of other parts of the scene."  I don't understand the use of
"compression" here.

Chuck Norcutt