Re: [OM] It's a Fence of Course with no Horse

Subject: Re: [OM] It's a Fence of Course with no Horse
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:16:32 -0500
> One of the images is of the same subject.  Although she caught some very nice
> fall color reflections, I much prefer
> Ken's composition.
> <http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=211&Itemid=1>
> Pat Wadecki - "Autumn reflection, Bond Falls, Ontonagon County, MI"
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Misc&image=Bond_Falls.jpg>

Thanks, Moose. For those wondering what the red blob is, it's a tree
on the other side of the river that turns a glorious red.

The style aspect to these pictures, to me, is the eye-flow. I really
do like to spend the time developing good eye-flow through the
picture. Zig-zags are great for this. I like using lines. The fence
picture is just a latest version of it. What does bother me about this
particular version is even the I've got the eye-flow, the eye is lead
to a non-detailed part of the image and then off to the right. The
fence picture, with narrow DoF might have good visual shock value, but
definitely does not have good staying power. I believe it's because
the eye really wants to study the picture, but other than the near
fence-post, there is no further detail to study. It excites you then
leaves you standing at the curb.

On a totally related note, these eye-flow pictures have been
exceptionally hard for me to do with my digital cameras. I can do it
very easily with an OM viewfinder, but not with my digitals because
the apparent image size is too small to move the eyeball.

AG